Paperback Reader

Just a girl who lives on books…

Persephone Secret Santa is Coming to Town!

Posted on | October 23, 2011 | 19 Comments

When my dear friend Verity asked if I would be organising Persephone Secret Santa again this year and whether I needed a co-host this time, I knew I had been presented with the best opportunity to return to blogging.   Persephone Books and blogging have, in many ways, become synonymous for me as they are so intrinsically linked; making virtual friends with a mutual  love for the independent press, hosting reading events that celebrate their books and organising a gift exchange of them are my blogging highlights. It is with great pleasure that I announce the third Persephone Secret Santa, coincidentally coinciding with a week that sees the Persephone Autumn titles published (and purchased) and the Biannually received.

I’m not planning on making any changes to last year’s swap, except for the addition of Verity as Santa’s helper; we’ve split the work so that I will be responsible for coordinating sign ups and Verity will assign Santas.  I am relying on participants to publicise the event, however, as I am out of the blogging loop and would love for this fun event to reach even more people than last year.   For anybody new to this event (of which I hope there are many) please have a look through Persephone Secret Santa archived posts to see how much fun previous years have been.

Without further ado, instructions for participating are as follows:

1. Email me at claire.boyle@gmail.com on or before November 6th (two weeks today) with your name, address (all personal information will be destroyed after completion of gift exchange), a list of Persephone titles you have read and/or own/wish for and specify whether or not you are willing to ship your gift internationally.

2. During the week commencing November 6th names will be randomly drawn and participants will be notified as to who they are playing Santa to (do please look out for this email from Verity – it may possibly go to your junk mail).

3. Using the list of Persephone titles provided by your recipient, go back through your assigned blogger’s posts looking for favored authors or subject matter and choose a title you know the blogger will enjoy.

4. At this point, it is up to you as Santa how creative you wish to be in the workshop. You can order the book, have it gift wrapped and sent straight on to the recipient…or you can have the book sent to you first and go a step further by including a small gift that is homemade, bookish in nature or related to how you celebrate Christmas, then wrap it all up and send it on its way. Either way make sure you include a card revealing your identity. (Please indicate in your email if you will be including an additional gift.)

5. With the increase of packages being sent during the holidays, please aim to have your package delivered before or during the first week of December. Take into account the extra time needed if shipping internationally or if you are going on holiday/to see family over the holidays.

6. On December 16th, have a festive get together by revealing your Secret Santa is in a blog post and sharing what he (or she) brought you.

7. Spread the word  … the more the merrier! Please feel free to use the image above.

If after signing up, something comes up to where you cannot participate, let me know as soon as possible so that I can make other arrangements. Please consider all costs involved before participating (for the book, for any shipping, the additional gift, etc.). This is meant to be fun, not stressful, and I wouldn’t want anyone to feel overwhelmed by the commitment.  Do please note that Persephone Books have recently raised their prices.

If you have any questions, you can leave a comment or email me.

Thank you very much to Verity for joining me in this year’s fun.

Comments

19 Responses to “Persephone Secret Santa is Coming to Town!”

1. Allie
    October 23rd, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

I missed out on this last year, so I am excited to join in this time around! :)

2. Nymeth
    October 23rd, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

Although I can’t afford to join this year, it still makes me very happy that you’re hosting again – and even more so if it provides an excuse for you to return to blogging! You’ve been very much missed. I’ll be happy to help spread the word, and I know everyone will have a wonderful time.

3. Joan Hunter Dunn
    October 23rd, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

Thank you for organising this again. I so enjoyed it last year. I shall emailing you on my return from holidays.

4. Teresa
    October 23rd, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

Yes, what Ana said. I’ve just bought a bunch of Persephones and intend to read what I have before getting more, but I do hope this leads to more posts from you!

5. Helen
    October 23rd, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

I’ve already emailed you! I can’t wait to start shopping!

6. Vasilly
    October 23rd, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

*looks around* Hey! Don’t I know you? :-)

I can’t participate this time around but glad to know that you’re bringing back a blogger tradition. Does this mean you might start back blogging too?

7. Col (Col Reads)
    October 24th, 2011 @ 12:56 am

Thanks so much for hosting this again this year, Claire! I’ve already sent me email!

8. Rebecca Reid
    October 24th, 2011 @ 1:43 am

I will probably have to pass this year for financial reasons, but I will definitely participate in the next Persephone reading week!

9. Bellezza
    October 24th, 2011 @ 3:49 am

So filled with joy that a.) you’ve returned to blogging at least for the time being and b.) you’re hosting the Persephone Secret Santa again. It is one of my great joys of the season! I’m off to email you my information, and of course, I’ll post about it on my blog. XO

10. Karen K.
    October 25th, 2011 @ 2:40 am

Oh joy of joy!! I’m so happy you’re doing this again, it was SUCH fun last year! I’m definitely signing up, just need to prepare my email — I’ve bought waaaay too many Persephones this year so my dove-grey wish list will be much shorter.

Thank you so much for doing this again (and please let me know if you need any help!)

11. Rose
    October 25th, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

I’m well up for it – I’ve sent my email, and am getting excited already. Do we have to open up on 14 Dec? I’m kind of psyched for saving whatever Santa brings under the tree until the real day…

12. Some bits and bobs « chasing bawa
    October 27th, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

[...] Claire and Verity are once again organising the Persephone Secret Santa. I’m pondering whether to participate this year, as I have a stack of Persephones I still need to read, but it was a lot of fun last year and if you do want to join, make sure you contact Claire by November 6th. [...]

13. Holiday Persephone Exchange « Care's Online Book Club
    October 29th, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

[...] (clicking on the button above or this line will tell you all about how to join the fun this year.) [...]

14. stujallen
    October 30th, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

welcome back claire ,all the best stu

15. Secret Santas: Books And Cards « Leeswammes' Blog
    November 6th, 2011 @ 8:15 am

[...] Persephone Secret Santa is another Secret Santa, but it’s limited to Persephone books. These are books by women, about women and for women. They usually have a very simple cover, e.g., grey with very little writing, but the inside cover is a flowery pattern, a different one for each book. [...]

16. Frances
    November 6th, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

Excited about both the gift exchange and your return to blogging. You have been missed.

17. Helen
    December 10th, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

My gift has arrived! I’m going to be good and not open until the 16th, but it won’t be easy! Thank you, Santa!

18. Persephone Secret Santa revealed « Sam Still Reading
    December 16th, 2011 @ 2:07 am

[...] Persephone Secret Santa everyone! Today was finally the day that I got to open the parcel that has been sitting patiently [...]

19. Persephone Secret Santa | Iris on Books
    December 17th, 2011 @ 11:08 am

[...] could not resist participating in the Persephone Secret Santa again this year. It is so amazing to receive one of these lovely books as a gift in your mailbox. [...]